RE: OT: Building a Midi Breakout Box

Kevin,

I've been dreaming of the separate strings thing for years and have been
in regular contact with Richard McLish about his fanout. Last promise was
a new batch in October 2010 - didn't happen, and I don't think it ever
will. Meanwhile, I've been following Bill Baxendale's work and, although
his web site is awful, his posts on guitar forums made it clear he really
knows what he is doing and that people who had his stuff liked it. So, I
took the plunge and bought his breakout box.

I have other projects from which I can't divert too much attention to this
right now, but I've started to fool with it for an hour at a time a few
nights. It is really well made and works perfectly right out of the box. I
have a by now antique setup using a GI-10 and a variety of MIDI-equipped
guitars; so far all I've tried with this is the PRS I bought from Kris H.
and had Graphtech hex pickups installed on.

Not wanting to dedicate my RME 800 to this, I  routed 4 strings into open
inputs on it and sent the other two into a Boss VF-1. From there I've been
experimenting in a most unscientific manner, just setting up templates in
Cubase and Reaper and adding effects to each input.  Given that the signal
is weak I've put Voxengo Boogex on each channel.  The recordings have low
signal level for each individual string but when you listen to them
together it is robust. I also did a bit of mangling each track
independently, normalizing, reversing, chopping and the like. The sound
quality remained excellent.

I'm sure there is a more sophisticated way to boost the signals, but I'm
just learning Reaper and hadn't gotten there yet. I suspect Ableton Live
will eventually prove the best program for use with this setup.

Then there is looping. I have a laptop dedicated to that (Mobius in
Bidule), with a soundcard that does not have 6 inputs. I haven't gotten
into Mobius 1.43. Sometime this spring I imagine I will devote some time
to learning 1.43, taking advantage of some of the amazing script
development that is happening, and do all that on the desktop that I have
the RME 800 on.... at which point the 6 strings into Mobius would be a
truly sick puppy.  I'll report on all this from time to time.

Bill Baxendale is a real craftsman and great engineer and provided
fabulous service. No, it is not cheap, but the breakout box is VERY cool.

As for the Unfretted project, I too was intimidated by the skill level
required to make it. I joined mfg.com with an eye towards "managing"
production, perhaps soliciting interest from others on this list and
elsewhere, but I never pursued it. You could consider taking that on.

Hal