Re: Re: M9/M13/HD500

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Louie Angulo wrote:
> I know for us guitarrists is maybe not always that important, but
> Sjaak does beautiful dreamy synth soundscapes where space and dimesion
> is crucial
> I remember listening to him and being lost in his sound, it sounded
> huge and it would be a pity to sacrifice his signal  with a mono
> looper;-)
I really do hear what Bill had to say about this, but I do agree with Luis,
in this instance,  having heard Sjaak's beautiful ambient soundscapes
live several times.

The more spatial the 'swirl' is,  the better in this case.

I am almost entirely a mono looper myself because I do see it's
egalitarian possibilities (everyone gets a similar mix regardless of
where they stand
in the room) but I also see that extreme phase cancellation
only occurs in one place in a room, exactly equidistant from the speakers
(I know this is a simplification of all the intricate possibilities of
phase cancellation
but I am only talking about when one's left signal is 180 degrees out of
phase with the
right side's signal)..........so the damage is not horrible even when
this occurs, except
for a noticeable drop in volume when all frequencies are 180 degrees out
of phase.

I think this possibility is much less of a problem when there is a lot
of rhythmic
content in the music, like the way, Bill, Luis or I play.   Mono can
work better sometimes
in these situations.

that's my not terribly informed two cents,

rick walker