Re: should musicians have a second job?

Ahhhh . . .

In some ways, I am sure, this article is merely meant as an instance
of "tough love" from the author to a group of people he cares about
and identifies with.

He makes a number of valid points that seem to make practical sense.

However, there is a lot that he grossly misses about the nature of
"Art" as it has become in the last century or so (music included).

If you turn back the clock 150 years or so, and switch the focus from
music to painting, one can easily see that his attitude and assertions
are nearly identical to those of the established art system of the
"Salon" in Paris during the time of the Impressionists and Post-
Impressionists: Monet, Degas, Van Gogh, Gauguin, and many other
outsiders, et al.

Which is to say: "Learn to be a real professional artist like so-and-
so (like those being cranked out daily by the dues-paying system of
schools and established galleries and patrons) or go home, give up,
get a real job, get a life, get a clue."

Can any of us who love art imagine what it would be like if there had
never been a Vincent Van Gogh?

Sure the world would've gone on turning - but it would be a lot poorer
for it.

Does anybody really remember the contributions of any of the work or
contributions of any of the very talented folk who chose the
conservative "establishment art" route in that period?

Not many, I'd wager, remember or know of William Adolphe Beaugereau -
perhaps the greatest academically-trained and widely successful
painter from that era.

He was rich and famous during his own time, but now is largely
forgotten - or remembered only as a sort of historical footnote - sort
of like the Pat Boone of the early rock 'n' roll era, or the
manufactured and hyper-marketed boy-bands or blonde bimbette singer-
sluts of today will be.

So...

A lot of us are **NOT** in it for the money or the fame (or the sex
and drugs).

I don't imagine many of us are in it "for the ages" (Art History)
either - for that matter (LOL).

Some of us are even ill-equipped and ill-disposed to be performers,
per se . . . I know I certainly am.

But some of us are nevertheless "bitten by the bug" (or the muse) and
have a vision (or something) that drives us to create what we do.

For better or worse, some of us simply can't help it.

For whatever reason, the fickle universe has determined that (perhaps)
the greater creative gifts are often given to those who did not seek
them and would not venture to pursue them if they rightly had any
choice in the matter.

Fame and fortune may come to those who work very hard to be
professional at their "craft" like plumbers or butchers or chemists.

But fame, fortune and and "success" have very little sometimes to do
with Art.

They are irrelevant.

My encouragement to any of you who want to create Art is to keep on
doing it, no matter what, no matter who says "No." no matter who says
"Go home, give up, get a job, cut your hair, stand up straight, fly
right." etc., etc.

Or, no matter who (on the other hand) says "Get serious, pay your
dues, do it the way others have, compromise, join the union, do what
sells, learn to moon-walk, play to the masses."

Keep doing what you passion drives you to do - what has meaning for
you and you alone.

An audience may or may not come, but you will have done your duty to
your gift . . . to you muse . . . to the universe.

Best,

Ted