Re: Piano lessons advice (O.T.)

?My own musical journey began with piano, but it was cursed by bad timing
and other items.  My mother was more interested in us ingesting the
Discipline of Practice than she was in us actually playing the piano...
but
ultimately this was unimportant as you will see.  My teachers on the
keyboard went like this:

Age six, school lessons began just a month before summer vacation and my
family's move to the East Coast;

Age eight, A woman in her 70s who ran off with her travel agent and was
never heard from again;

Age nine, An old gentleman who sadly passed away;

Age 12, Another older lady who just failed to show up and never was heard
from again;

Age 15, A guy with Marty Feldman eyes with a Liberace-style wardrobe who
pulled the blinds on his place when I came for lessons (this lasted only
three weeks);

Age 19, A marvelous guy who was one of Barry Manilow's arrangers and
brought - instead of awful contrived pieces with titles like "Swaying
Silver
Birches" (shudder) - some of Mozart's pieces created to teach people
keyboard skills.  Went on tour with Barry, never seen again.

Each of these teachers lasted less than three months.  Over time I
assimilated the instrument enough to learn how to play by ear, but never
really via sight-reading.  And at 13, my Dad (who had wanted to be a jazz
trumpeter when he was in college and had met some of the greats like
Raymond
Scott!) was taking guitar lessons and the store went bankrupt.  They owed
him $30, and told him to keep the acoustic nylon-string guitar.  It sat in
the TV room corner until I secreted it upstairs with the instruction book.
I couldn't make sense of the tabs etc and taught myself how to play using
an
open chord I figured out at the time (AEAEAC#) that as it happened was a
basic blues tuning.

I wouldn't recommend this line of instruction to anyone!  But it worked
for
me, if after a long time. :)