Re: Recording many parallel loops in one go (Re: more mobiusscripting help please)

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Simeon Harris
<simeonharris40@googlemail.com> wrote:
> the chords i have set up at the moment are all in the same key, but it
>might
> be fun to tweak the rate shifts a bit and get some more unusual
>sounds....

Interesting, Sim! Would love to hear what it sounds like. I use a
pedalboard bank to speed shift all four loops into octave and fifth
chords according to a nine step scale. For some chord in the scale one
loop may be shifted -5 instead of +7 for the reason of better sound
(generally pitching down sounds better in ensemble than pitching up).
At chords where a particular loop is pitched up my script also brings
down the output level of that loop to have it not jump out of the mix
and sound bad. Just like you I find it great fun to test different
source sounds. With guitar or Stick I may record chords but if I'm
finding it a hard challenge to use thirds, because when speed
transformed a fifth they may induce chord coloring I don't like. I'm
more for the minimal concept of sequencing sparse and leave room for
melody parts to imply minor or major chord coloring. This stuff can
easily get too big for you to handle.

BTW, I set up my Record Pedal script as a long press script that will
reset the selected track (deleting this track's loops) on a long
press. Then I use the statement "if" to make the script start out with
a "global reset" before going Recored etc and this happens "if
selected track is in reset mode". I'm finding this very helpful when
peforming as a way to "get out" of the for parallel loops situation
and start over a new four-loops texture. What I do then is a long
press on the Record button followed by a short press to start over.

It would be really cool some time to have a Mobius clinic! Sit down
for a couple of hours and show each other what we use different
scripts for. I remember in Zürich we had such a gathering the day
after the Looping Festival in 2005. It was especially interesting to
hear vocalist Michael Schiefel explain how he runs two un-synced EDP's
and a harmonizer controlled by MIDI Sysex from a mini synth keyboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI111PUVStk

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se