Re: Numerology 3...

Cool to see one of my favorite music software tools mentioned on this
list! :-)

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Dustbunnies <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
> This has me wondering if Numerology might currently work as a poor-man's
> alternative to Max-For-Live

I don't think so, because they are completely different tools.
Numerology is a system for modular step sequencing, the way it was
done in the analog domain and before MIDI was invented. One might
argue that Numerology 3 and the Pro version now has digital audio
processing objects like Envelope Follower, Audio Feedback Assistant, a
built-in sampler etc - but that's only a little icing on the cake
while M4L is a massive iceberg of audio processing options (that
totally lacks the modular sequencing workflow of Numerology).

> Numerology AU
I am not too excited by the AU, because this plugin misses out of what
I find most cool with Numerology; the possibility for "discrete
sequencing". When working with rhythmic riffs and melody lines I'm a
big fan of creating loops of accent that cycle at a different length
than the tonal loops formed by notes. This can't be done with the
Numerology AU plugin. But in the full Numerology application you can
set up a dedicated step sequencer for Velocity (accent), another for
Gate (when notes are created) and a third for Pitch (which notes are
created). Then you cable all those (CV) sequencers into a Note
Generator object to drive a virtual instrument. This is the music
theory typically used by artists as King Crimson, Philip Glass, Steve
Reich etc.

If in the future the Numerology AU becomes available with all the
modular sequencer routing now available in Numerology, then I would
love to use it in Logic to drive Logic's virtual instruments from
Numerology AU. Maybe next year... ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se