Re: Re: the 60's

Rick,

I respect your take on things and all of your experiences. They must've
been magic at the time. Wonder years indeed.

I remember very little of the era. I got a lot of memories second hand. I
lived in fly-over country on a farm at the a** end of nowhere as a child.
I remember watching my grandmother watching the casualty reports from
Vietnam and fretting. Two neighbors on either side of us were there. One
came back  in a bag and the other minus three out of four limbs. There
were fourteen names on my own high schools Vietnam Memorial.

As with all cultural movements, there were I am sure the true believers
and the opportunist free love and drug bunch along for the ride. I don't
see the sixties as anything else other than another failed moment in the
cultural eons. I had friends who I met through music, including one
brilliant solo, Piedmont Bluesman, who also served in Vietnam. He told me
stories of hippy girls spitting on him and calling him baby-killer. There
were alot of those stories from my veteran friends. Sorry if I can't get
on board with a bunch of rich, free love college kids who were fortunate
enough to have parents who could buy them deferments while the poor white
under-class and minorities got the dirty end of the cultural and economic
stick and got p*ssed on for it. The zeitgeist was lovely. The execution
terrible.

As a child of the SST and Sub-Pop eighties punk movements, I became formed
into the cynical mold that I am now. I trust no one. Not Fox News. Not
MSNBC. Neither left nor right. Neither Wall Street or the Hippy after
birth of an era. I admit to being an equal opportunity paranoid who
believes that the twenty four hour cable news cycle is essentially the
Special Olympics of bull-sh*t with a gigantic black hole of truth and fact
at its' center.

I admire and somehow envy your golden time and wish that I was a true
believer in that way. I appreciate you sharing that and apologize to the
list for a rant from a lurker.

Lost But Respectful,

Ransacker