Re: (OT) REJECTING MASS MEDIA CULTURE

This is one of the things I love about this list.  The variety of people and personalities and how nicely everybody gets along.  I own my house (paid off yay!) have lived there for 17 years, have no desire to wander the country, love having 100 channels of shit on the TV to choose from, have more crap than I probably should, and haven't really met a decade I didn't like for some reason.  My parents (and friends) were the hippies of the 60's.  singing protest songs, love beads, really went to Woodstock and all that.  I do find it interesting how the popular media glorifies something (not necessarily in a bad way) that really only a small number of people actually attended and turns it into a mass experience.  I watched a show about Woodstock and I think it was Graham Nash who said if everybody who told him they were at Woodstock were actually there, there would have been about 5 million people in the audience. :)  I think the 60's for the US had quite a few major cultural defining moments.  The pill, civil & womens rights, massively unpopular war, counter culture, drugs... lots of changes and resistance to the status quo.

Anyway, you guys are great and I love reading this list every day.

just some random thoughts... I think the cold-meds are kicking in.  wheeeeee..

Tony