Re: WHAT SORTS OF FIREWIRE INTEFACES ARE PEOPLE USING THESE DAYS?

Hi Ted, My suspicion is that there is an impedance mismatch of some
kind going on whereby the outputs of the VG99 are feeding the MOTU in
such a way as to degrade the sound.  If there is any way on the VG99
to change the impedance or gain structure of the  outputs that might
help. If you have a di box or line level matching device to try that
might help, and definitely try the two main ins as they might have a
wide range of impedance matching than the line ins. Also, remeber that
optimal output setting going in to the monitor speakers won't be the
same as optimal output levels for going in the MOTU. The MOTU is
acting like another preamp stage so you will nee to work to find the
optimal balance between VG99 level and MOTU level. The fact that your
dynamics went south suggest that an overly hot signal from the VG99 is
causing some unwanted compression.  Another thing to try is using the
digital coax out on the VG99 if the MOTU you are using has digital
coax ins, that way you can total bypass the analog preamps.
  Bill