Re: WHAT SORTS OF FIREWIRE INTEFACES ARE PEOPLE USING THESE DAYS?

Bill,

I was doing sort of a "scientific" A/B test with the MOTU on Saturday
morning.

I played my Gibson and VG99 combination into the MOTU and listened
through external monitors.

I did my best to get the sound levels all adjusted and dialed in so it
sounded good - then played and listened.

After that, I simply plugged the VG99 into the same monitor speakers
themselves and adjusted them to similar volume levels and played and
listened.

The difference was quite palpable.

It was like the difference between being at a live gig and listening
to an MP3 recording of one.

All the subtle details were gone and a lot of the dynamics.

In fact the straight VG sounded so much better that I was inspired to
play it the entire rest of the day (about 5 hours) and completely lost
track of time until dinnertime.

That hasn't happened in months and months.

Now I might get a different result if I used the 2 main "preamped"
inputs of the MOTU - I will have to try that out.

As it was I was only using a pair of the regular line-level inputs on
the back.

But even if it does sound better to me on those inputs it will nag me
to no end that I am not getting as good of sound on the others if I
happen to use them (as I had planned).

Any advice would be helpful Bill.

Cheers,

Ted