Re: OT: Kanye West and King Crimson

Art Simon wrote:

> "But more important is the hook that anchors the song. It sounds like a
> vocal re-creation of the King Crimson song's monster guitar hook; but as
> it's been transformed, it invokes another acute examiner of current
> cultural-political dramas: M.I.A. The hook's hand claps and feminine
> tone -- as well as the Symbolyc One-co-produced track's whole sound,
> much more redolent of global hip-hop than of electroclash, which West
> may have left behind -- sets West's verbal tirade within M.I.A.'s larger
> context of global oppression and resistance by people of color.
> Justified? Maybe not. But it's a typically bold Kanye leap."
>
> I think it's great. Anybody else out there think anything of this song?

that's thinking?  ;-)
...let me guess....Wire magazine?

I liked the way he(they?) cut short the
first chord of the "big riff" at the
end of the sample to create
a typical hip-hop stab.

In the radio edit I heard the whole effect is marred by a couple of
bars where the combination of KC and hip hop mixes just produces
a mush,
but overall this is the most convincing "re-contextualisation"
I've heard.

Interesting to imagine what someone who doesn't recognise the sample would
make of it.

First time 21C Schz ever got played on mainstream daytime radio in uk.

andy