Re: Re: Re: OT: French composers are leaving France for the US?

Stefan wrote:

> I had also different experiences in the country side. Local majors are
> proud of having artists present their work in their town. They wouldn't
> be able to pull out as much nowadays, but the spirit is very different
> to Paris and its surrounding areas. Its not like two different
> countries, its like two different planets...

Yeah, Stefan,  that has always astonished me.   When I toured and performed
in Paris in the late 90s it had the reputation as Paris, Africa (I
believe there are
2 million Arabs from North Africa living in Paris alone)  and yet I was
told
that they had never had a large scale Pan African Music Festival (as we
have
had twice in Santa Cruz of all places with it's 50,000 person population).

I've always been astonished that there seems to be very little going on in
Paris in the musical scenes I'm interested in (abstract electronic,
world fusion,
experimental music, et. al.) at least in terms of official venues or
festivals
and yet there are obviously a lot of great Parisian artists.

Of course, I do NOT live there so it's very possible that I was just out
of the loop
but I looked a lot because I was there a lot (we always flew in and out
of Paris
for our French tours with Bob Brozman).

And yet,  I love Paris, dearly.      I don't even mind paying the $7 for
a capuccino on the banks of the Seine.............lol

Rick Walker