Re: Question about electronic drums and Mac looping

If you want to get beyond static drum tracks, my recommendation would be RMX. There are certainly things about it that don't work the way I wish they would, but it does come with a huge sample library and, most importantly to me, it provides for randomization of a number of parameters.

Aside from that, I have had good success using Live to play drum patterns also - the midi output of the patterns can be put through velocity randomizers, etc., and you can also easily set up progressions from one pattern to another. I usually put kick/snare patterns in one track and hihat (or parts that function like a hihat part) into another track and let them vary independently, for quite a lot of variety.

I might point out that the way I use these is to have the loop be the master and the drum parts slave to the tempo implied by the loop, rather than by starting the drum track first (you can hear some of these tracks on my home page, warrensirota.com). However, this is pretty complicated to manage, and is in no way necessary to using these products to create drum tracks.

Hope this helps,
Warren