Re: OT: French composers are leaving France for the US?

Thanks for posting this.  I hadn't heard anything about it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more to it than meets the eye.  Sure, the French Academy is very closed and hard to crack, but consider the fields the article is looking at. As for music, we're talking about academic music, which is very specialized. Otherwise, France is a good place for musicians and composers because, as the article mentions, quality of life is a priority here, and that means the arts are supported.

I wonder if research grants supported by big business and multi-nationals isn't behind this so-called brain drain.  Biology is very lucrative when put into that context, and economics isn't far behind when one considers the funding available through politically motivated think tanks.

Doc Rossi