Re: OT: Suggestions for monitor speakers

andy butler wrote:
> hi Fabio,
>
> "small and not expensive" isn't ideal :-(
>
> Genelecs are a safe bet, if you get the biggest you can tolerate/afford.
>
> If you can afford PMC then they have a special design which gives good
> bass extension for the size of cabinet. ( also they sound amazing )
>
> With small speakers there's always going to be missing low frequencies,
> you'll need to check your mix on a big system some time,
> although you'll be able to avoid nasty surprises by spectral analysis
> using software.
>
> andy butler

Which is another good reason the my suggested Mackie HR624 mk2's, going
down to 37hz, even though outfitted with a mere 6½" driver.
To make this happen, a rear-mounted passive slave is used.
I've listened to and build some slave-based speakers, and often had a
more or less swampy bass; however, the HR624's exibit none of this, but
are as firm and well-defined as I could wish for.

It has to be noted that a rear slave can make positioning problematic,
and correct dampening panels must be employed behind the speakers.

In general, as has been noted elsewhere, monitors are a somewhat
personal experience.

Also, make sure to take a few pairs home for listening in their intended
habitat - and make sure to have proper acoustics treatment in place, as
no speakers, however great or expensive, will perform without such.

Happy hunting and enjoyment when you find the Right Ones ;)

--
rgds,
van Sinn