Dumb newbie's question...Ableton anyone?

Hi all - please forgive what seems to me to be a bit of a dumb question...but are all you live loopers out there using computers much??

Looking through the Looper's Delight profiles, it looks like most people are using dedicated hardware; predominantly EDP or similar. Is this still the case, or is the list out of date? OR...is dedicated hardware generally just more convenient and reliable?

I've been fiddling with live looping - on viola, piano and various other things - using Ableton for a couple of years now (with Bourne midi translator and a few other bits 'n pieces) and it sometimes feels like I'm doing more preparation and programming than playing, but on the other hand, I just prefer to have everything in one place. Do I need an EDP? Would that be easier...? Not sure...

I'd be grateful for any guidance or thoughts people might have.

Thanks

Patrick