Re: OT:Instant Song Mastering

This just in from a friend of mine who knows way far about this kind of stuff than I do. I thought I'd share his thoughts with LD.
Enjoy.

Cheers,
Rev. Fever
Portland, OR

Begin forwarded message:

t's most likely a generic scheme (otherwise they'd promote the fact
that it covers different kinds of music) that resembles the processing
used for pop music on radio: a fast compression that maximizes
loudness and reduces dynamic range.  It's like photos — you can make
most any snapshot "pop" as though removing a veil of smoke from the
image with a couple of steps.

It's an interesting service model for the Web, I wonder how it will
develop.  Of course it won't instantly make a really crap recording
marketable, and if they ever pitch it as such they'll be frauds.  Even
us performer-composer-recordist-engineers can benefit from a savvy
mastering engineer's efforts, but it's doubtful a simple algorithm can
do anywhere near as good a job as a skilled human can for specific
recordings.