Re: Academic/musicological research on looping technique?

At 2010.11.09 10:14 AM, Mark Showalter wrote:
> [...]

The question is the one that you answered below.

> > > Can you elaborate on how looping is a technique of electronics
> > > and not performance?
>
>If a performer electronically loops a phrase, say a 2 measure idea,
>the performer is no longer performing that part. It exists as an
>electronic sample that is just being repeated by a loop pedal or
>sampler or whatever electronic device is being employed. It
>differers in a compositional sense because there is not a musician
>there reading a piece of music & playing the same bit perfectly &
>repeatedly. Any variations on that bit must be accomplished by
>electronic means, not by a performer i.e. the musician who
>originally played it. Keep in mind we're talking about this in
>regards to music theory & composition that one would learn in
>school. "Looping" in regards to how this emails is discussed does
>not get covered in a class on theory & composition because it isn't
>relavent there. In a Music Studio programme, of course, this is very
>common, all the way back to the use of tape loops in all types of music.

And with that kind of thinking, it will stay out of school!  Someone
comes to the list because he is writing a "paper on various aspects
of digital looping used in live performance" - and you're suggesting
that looping means something different in an academic environment
than in the real world.  Come to think of it, in general, that does
seem to be a common complaint of academia.  Looks like Patrick
(author of OP) made a mistake venturing out of the academic environment.