Re: Great speech video on "Sound"

At 11:20 PM +0100 10/24/10, Mark Showalter wrote:

>>  A related thought:
>>  At the SC live looping festival last week Singapore musician Randolf
>>  Arriola reminded us in a discussion about the three aspects that are
>>  evident in public performance: entertainment value, musical value and
>>  art value. The understatement in that discussion was that many live
>>  looping artist focus mainly on music and art factors when putting on a
>>  show.
>
>Do all Live Loopers agree with this statement? Or rather understatement?

To a great extent.  However, as always, the devil is in the details:
define your terminology.

We're already hip-deep into another discussion on the definition of
Art and its value.  (Not the first, and I'm sure it won't be the
last.)

Musical Value may be close enough -- in this case -- to overlap with
Art.  The difference may be subtle.  Dunno; gonna have to consider
that one....

But keep in mind that Entertainment Value is not an absolute either.
It is completely relative to the audience.  Compare somebody sitting
quietly watching a symphony performance with another individual
moshing his brains out at a hardcore show.  Both have vastly
different expectations for the performance.  Is one more
"entertained" than the other?

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of