Re: OT- NIK BARTSCH'S RONIN

Rick,

I am definitely going to try to make the Portland show, but failing that I
may try to make Oakland.

I've been listening to NBR for a couple of years - at  the recommendation
of journalist pal Josef Woodard.

I'm also on the ECM mailing list, which is where I got this notice.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Ted

---- Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com> wrote:

=============
  Ted wrote:
Nik Bartsch's Ronin rare US tour dates

February 23 - Oakland,CA - Yoshis

February 25 - Portland, OR - PDX JAZZ FESTIVAL

February 26 - Knoxville, TN

February 27 - New York, NY - (Highline) TBD

Oh, thanks for pointing this out, Ted.      I'm sooooo there!!!

I was fortunate to see them on their famous Montags gig in Zurich
with our own Berhnard Wagner doing a wonderful opening set.

This is my favorite jazz/experimental/new instrumental band in the world
currently. No hyperbole..........just fact there.

They don't loop, per se, but they are so into cyclical parts that are
played in a very, very disciplined and accurate way,  mixing
odd time signatures and polyrhythmic playing.

Imagine Steve Reich meets any of the great ECM bands,
except that pigeonholes them too much.

Every member of this ensemble is an amazing musician.
They all are really exploiting their individual instruments to get
traditional and highly non-traditional sounds out of them.

I can't say enough good things about them.

Don't miss them..............they never come to the US.
I'll see you there at both shows if they have them.

yours,   Rick Walker