Re: making money off your music

Well, it's awfully nice to be paid.

I never turn down money and always say "thank you" when I get it.

And, it would be doubly wonderful to be paid for exactly the the art
one wanted to do (whatever that is).

But there is a slight problem that I find often occurs when mixing
commerce and art.

You get stuck doing what other people want and will pay for
(eventually) whether it's what you personally want to do or not.

That is, unless you are the recipient of the triple bonus prize of
evolution and good fortune - finding yourself so talented and
artistically in-tune with a large (enough), ready and willing-to-pay
audience (or other patronage) that will buy absolutely anything you
do, and the thing that you most crave to do is exactly what they crave
most to have you do - a match made in heaven or hell (I don't know
which).

Otherwise, lots of us seem to be out of luck (at least that sort of
luck).

I don't make much money with my music.

But, I never really planned (or plan) to.

I work (a day job) to live . . . and to buy time and resources to make
art.

I make art (the art I want) in order to be happy and satisfied while
living life.

When I am occasionally not happy and satisfied with living life, it is
usually because there is an imbalance somewhere.

The funny thing is, that imbalance never ever seems to have anything
to do with whether or not I've been paid for my art.

If there is some magic scheme or whatever to take the "day job" out of
the equation and make more time for my art, or family, or whatever
that would be super swell.

But, I am really not much into playing lotteries - be they state-run
or genetic/evolutionary.

I figure I've already been dealt whatever cards I'm going to get to
play in this game, and I might as well make the best of it.

Just some thoughts.