Re: making money off your music

well it seems that my situation is nearly the opposite...

i have started playing in rock bands at the end of 1990s at clubs in and
around istanbul. since we did not have a record out, we made very little
money ( maybe 100 usd for the whole band a night ). there were not many
studios and engineers you could work with to get the sound you want, also
the recording gear was way too expensive. then in 2000 the first sound
engineering school has opened up. a lof musicians from my generation
gradutated from there. now i am about to finish the phd hopefully.

during the 2000s, i had to work very very hard to get my name and records
out there. since there is nearly no record labels to release
non-commercial
work and there is nearly no financial support from the government and
institutions, it has been a tough ride. like other musicians from my
generation in turkey we have learned to survive under these conditions.
that
means that we have trained ourselves to become a sound engineer, producer,
remixer, arranger, performing artist, contemporary music composer etc and
everything in between in one personality!

these days i produce major rock bands, r and b - pop acts, but also work
on
my own material, write music for visuals, receive commissions for
contemporary music etc. my income is good compared with the life standard
in
turkey.

so i think if you get excited about working with a rock band in the studio
one day, and try to finish your electroacoustic opera the next, you will
be
more than fine in today's music world. i think the trick is to be able to
do
different things without losing your energy and concentration.

anyways that is my short story...

best.

www.erdemhelvacioglu.com

New duo album with Per Boysen out now.