Re: Carrying instruments on airplanes - this is cool and very relevant!

I live by these two rules on this matter:

1) Only bring small instruments that fit into your cabin luggage bag.
2) Use a foam diced hard case when checking in an instrument.

It seems a hard case diced with foam protects the instruments well
enough for checking it in. And these cases are a must for most air
travel companies' luggage insurance. They are quite expensive though,
so therefore I do not own one. Instead I stick with small instruments
when having to fly somewhere.

One thing I've been thinking about, regarding guitar, is to use a hard
case that is bigger than the instrument and stuff it up with that
cheap plastic "air pillows" material. Make sure the guitar can not
move inside the case, especially not towards the neck direction! You
may put some stopper blocks at the body horns, by the side of where
the neck meets the body, to fix the guitar's position. I recently had
a guitar sent to me that was very well packed by every aspect except
that it had nothing to prevent it to glide upwards. Some UPS staff
packed it upside down inside a lorry and on arrival the head stock was
bent and the fretboard lose from the neck by the first and second
fret. Sad.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se