Re: OT The Sub Pulse was West African/African Diaspora rhythms: 3/4,4/4, 6/8, 12/8

  Interesting points from Andy in our discussion about swing and
other accurate/inaccurate mapping systems.

Also, that pesky sub pulse.

I'd really like to weigh in on both when I've got time but this is the
absolute
worst crunch time for publicity for the looping festival and I"m swamped.

This is just a note to say I'm not ignoring this thread,  it just may be
towards the
end of the week when I can sit down and compose my thoughts

Here's an example though , to illustrate, for the time being

take 'Mirror in the Bathroom'   by the English Beat

The song is in 4/4 (pulse = 4)
sub pulse is twice as fast (sub pulse = 8th notes)(i.e., the bass line's
lowest common note value)
fills in the tune (on snare or timbale) are frequently at twice that speed
but are NOT the way the tune if felt or danced too.  (embellishment =
16th notes)

That's how I map tunes conceptually in analysis (and also in attaining a
feel for the 'groove' of a tune
if I"m learning it for the first time.