From: Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 6:54:31 PM
Subject: Re: question for tech junkies

antonyhequet@yahoo.com schrieb:
> Anyway, anyone who is not dead of boredom reading all this: any
>contribution
>which may help me sort this out is most welcome.

Anthony,

first of all, I'm not at all familiar with the mLAN technology, so can't
comment
on this.
However, I had used similar setups in the past: once for "An Ambient
Manifold"
(http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=69371931&blogId=525812431),
 then for recording "A tätowierte Katz'"
(http://moinsound.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/a-tatowierte-katz-another-twitterchords-tune/)

In both cases, the setup went something like:
computer running a DAW software, RME digiface (3xADAT I/O 1xSPDIF I/O),
two ADAT
I/O pairs connected to a DDX3216 console (32x16x8x2 console w/ 16 analog
ins and
2+4 analog outs and a pair of ADAT I/O), the remaining ADAT I/O connected
to an
ADA8000 (8ch analog I/O w/ micpres). There was also something connected to
the
SPDIFs I think...(Eclipse?)

The problem here was: there were three things which did some kind of
routing:
the console, the digiface matrix, and the DAW. And as you said, this can
get
rather complex, because a) you don't have something physical to look at
and,
more importantly, b) you don't have one pivotal routing point.

That being said: I would suggest that if this works for your application,
go
with the first (mLAN) route, this way being able (as I understood your
description) to do everything routing-wise in your mixer. Or find a way to
control everything from your DAW via some virtual mixer there. Everything
else
has a great chance of ending in chaos during a performance/live recording
situation (including feedback loops - and we're not talking the good
feedback
here).

Yours,

         Rainer