Re: OT: portable audio recorders

Hey Andy,

I'd be happy to send you a file if you'd like to look at the peaks and what
not. I doubt my recordings are pristine by any measure; I'm not doing any
critical recording for sure, these are just rehearsal and jam recordings,
and I'm using the 192k MP3 settings to keep file sizes portable, and using
the 90 deg angle front stereo pair. I have a permanent mount, a mike
gooseneck, about 6 ' high on the wall in the corner of our rehearsal space
that the H2 is mounted on. It's a rectangular room about 20' x 12' with 10'
ceiling that slopes. The drummer is in the far corner diagonally away from
the H2, I (guitar) am on the long wall, basically facing the drums, and the
bass player is on the far short wall, facing the drum kit, so no speakers
directly face the H2. The drums/cymbols are the only thing that directly
face the mikes. The room is about 80% carpeted on all surfaces, save for
the
ceiling and upper portions of the walls.

Typically, it's drums or cymbols that cause hot peaks when they happen... I
think I just have it far enough away that I'm not hammering the mike
capsules, plus the fact we dont have the guitar or bass aimed at the mikes.

When I record I'm generally getting about -7db levels on average, and run
everything thru the normalizing processor on Audacity post recording to
bring thing up to -3db before I cut things into individual songs and post
them for my band mates. I do keep the raw recording around, so I can grab
an
example should you want to see it. Again, it's just documenting things, not
critical recording - though I have set the H2 up in my living room and
recorded a moderate volume guitar/amp rig using the medium gain settings
and
more critical mike placement and gotten really nice results... maybe not as
nice as a true studio mike like a Sennheiser or Rode would give, but pretty
darn good.

I am however really dissapointed with the line in level on the H2, it's
complete rubbish. We wasted a whole day close miking everyone only to
discover we couldnt pad the signal down enough to not clip the input...

Regards-

Dave