Re: OT: portable audio recorders

RP Collier wrote:

> The Zoom H4 has a limiter setting as part of the software.
> When activated, I can put the mic sensitivity switch at the middle
> setting, and place the H4 right next to the amp speaker at fairly strong
> volume and get quite decent recording with no clipping at all.
> I'm surprised they  removed that option for the H2.

there *is* a limiter setting,
...it's *after* the conversion to digital.

I always thought that the H4 was exactly the same
in that respect.

>From the H1 publicity it would appear they got their act
together on limiting.

d.nix wrote:
> I record my progressive/post-rock/post-metal band with and H2 and we are
> anything but quiet... Ampeg SVT with 1x15 and 2x10 cabs, Marshall 100
>watt
> head and two 4x10 cabs and a ham fisted animal drummer that worships John
> Bonham. It works just fine. I keep it on the Low sensitivity setting and
> drop the input volume to 75 from the default of 100. I use none of the
> internal compression schemes... Occasionally a drum or cymbal spike will
> cause it to clip, but that is very rare.

er, it's a total waste of time dropping the recording volume to 75.
The distortion happens in the analog domain, and that vol
control is digital.

andy