Re: OT: portable audio recorders

Yeah - I found the same problem with recording with my H2.

It's excellent for direct line recordings, but you should plug it in
to the HEADPHONE jack of your board (not the tape out jack) with 1/4"
to 1/8" stereo cable. That way you can control the volume level
feeding into the device.

The H2's ability to turn down the input level really sucks. For
several shows, I tried to turn down the "Recording Level" on the
device. I wound up with recordings that were very quiet, but with just
as much clipping.

When not clipping, the recording quality is excellent - even better
than the mics. I don't get any of that "air noise" that I've been used
to from cassette recorders.

And the most awesome advantage over minidisc? No proprietary file
formats. You just pop out the SD card, plug it into your computer, and
there are the .wav or .mp3 files. (Depending on how you set the
device.)

I'm really hoping to get the video version for "Rigs" videos.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com