Re: Fred Frith headstock pickup OT

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> Frith uses it to capture the sound of strings vibrating between the nut
>and
> the fretting finger.

I had a chance to talk with him when he played here in Stockholm some
hears ago. He told me that he is very fascinated by using two pickups
for electric string instrument in order to amplify both sides of the
string. When the vibrating string gets longer on one side of the
finger/fret/slide it gets shorter on the other side. If you pluck on
one side the other side will as well sound by sympathetic vibrations.
He has built some kind of prototype instrument, looking like a rough
piece of wood with strings on, where the bridge is in the middle of
the total string length and you can play on both sides and of course
amplify both sides separately.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se