RE: Fred Frith headstock pickup

Here's some info on the headstock Michael:

Frith played a modified 1936 Gibson K-11. He added an extra pickupover the strings at the nut, enabling him to amplify sound from both sides of the fretted note. He then split the fretboard in two with a capo, effectively giving him two guitars, each amplified separately that he could play independently with each hand. To split the sounds further he attached alligator clip at various positions on the strings. The net result was a guitar with multiple sound sources that could be channelled to a mixer and distributed across the stereo soundscape