Re: Great Quote about Looping by Brian Eno

Andy Butler said:
> "My take is that there's vastly more people who want to be *seen*
> as creative artists than really care about the art itself.
> I've always thought that any true creative motivation will
> exist without acceptance being an issue. (and if, as it's said, it
> does take 10,000 hours to get good
>  at something, then there has to be a lot of hard work with
>  no recognition somewhere along the way) "
This reminds me (although I understand that your argument goes into a
different direction altogether it seems to me) of that theatre
director/manager (forgot his name, wasn't that important) who took it as
a proof of the oustanding artistic quality of the plays directed by him
that they were usually performed in front of a less than half-empty
house, whereas contemporaries such as Dieter Dorn always faced houses
sold out in advance.

Back to your statement: while caring about the art itself is vital
(unless you're trying to make it big in the pop world, of course), some
sort of audience feedback seems helpful to me, too. Not that I get that
much of it; to take my ongoing internet streaming concert, I think I
maxed out once at a dozen viewers or so (not counting the VSV), with
typically two or three, and I had also performed in front of a virtual
empty house. Does that make my art really valid? Or does it just tell us
that either my art sucks or I don't do enough for marketing?

What I'm trying to get at: you should invest those 10000 hours to get
good at making music, but while you're doing that, you should also
invest at least 2500 hours in marketing (unless you really don't care).

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs