Re: Great Quote about Looping by Brian Eno

Hello All,

Good point here but I would like to add something.
There is a critical difference between recorded & live performance. Most
people understand that when you go to a live performance, there is the
possibility of some major boo-boos &/or bad acting/playing/etc. In that
respect, the original post applied well: you do what you do & then go from
there. Totally improvised art, whether music or acting involves taking
some big risks & certainly a lot of time to learn to do what the performer
is attempting to do. Some never get very far, some never seem to stop
learning ( which I think is a good thing). In my composing of music, I
always prefer to perform a song live for a while to really explore it,
then do a recording or finish the recording to get it on CD or now of
course, the web. It gives the music a time to grow. I often have songs
that still require finished lyrics, so that when I get to the spot where
some words are missing or need to be changed, I hope for that magical
moment when inspiration will strike in the heat of that moment. Doesn't
happen very often but when it does I have to scramble my brain to make
sure I remember what it was I just sang. Here's a quote to consider:

The difference between great music & just plain noise is silence.

And BTW, I'm not the same Mark as the fellow below.
I'll be Mark2 to help differentiate us. Or perhaps Mark Twain. Not that
Mark2 in
any way implies lesser quality or that somehow Mark1 is better or more
exalted that I, but simply a way to avoid confusion, confusion which is of
course Mark1's fault entirely for not anticipating this problem & changing
his name to avoid all this silly verbiage.

Mark Showalter
Minden Jot!

myspace.com/folkstone57
http://www.last.fm/music/Mark+Showalter