From: tEd ® KiLLiAn <tedkillian@charter.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Sun, July 18, 2010 12:09:36 PM
Subject: MUSING ON HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, WETWARE: Was Re: OT: Lexicon Vortex (maybe) For Sale

Jeff,

I will only sell those off (and most any other item I currently, actually use) when the unlikely day comes that I am able to go all-laptop.

It is looking more and more to me (now that I have a speedy laptop, software and MOTU interface) that hardware will always, always have a major place in my musical life.

So much of my way of working and my "sound" is wrapped up in pedals on the floor and racks of metal boxes with funny names (all of which I KNOW how to use) and the software learning curve is so damn steep.

The sad part of this is that it pretty much means that my live performing days are over (in terms of traveling with my whole rig).

I'm to old and out of shape to do it any more.

I've tried doing it with less and have seldom found it anywhere close to being satisfactory.

I am sure that MAX MSP will open new vistas for me when I finally get into it (so there is still hope I suppose).

But, in the end, I imagine that the whole laptop thing will be just one more thing that I ad to the setup I'm already working with - thereby making it even more complicated and cumbersome.

I will probably have little opportunity or use for venturing out beyond my own home playing space (garage) unless some very stiff requirements are met for a gig.

• At least a little help schlepping gear in.

• Lots of time for setup, trouble-shooting and sound-checking.

• An hour or 2 rest (a nap and a shower and a change of clothes) between setting up and actually performing.

That is much too much to expect for nearly any gig or festival that I'd be likely to be invited to (all except Krispen's B-CIMF maybe).

I am getting geriatric, helpless and pathetic.

Every so often I have to walk with a cane (bad knee).

I used to be physically strong enough that lifting a 200 Lb. rack from the ground to the van was something I could do all by myself.

Now I can barely bend over to pick up a coin when I've dropped one (bad back), and getting my own sad, bulky carcass into the van is leaves me winded (asthma).

I am really ready for the loopers retirement home . . . or monastery . . . or whatever (graveyard).

The "wetware" (the body) is finally wearing out.

It's just another phase of life.

Best,

Ted