Rép : Multi-tracks loopers questions

Hi,

Thanks for all the answers, this is appreciated :).

De : andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
Objet : Rép : Multi-tracks loopers questions

Did I miss anything obvious ?

Thinking laterally, yes you did,
more info about what you actually want to achieve
might turn up some interesting answers for you.
Why do you need midi-sync?
What do you mean by "independent tracks"? different loop lengths?
Why do you need multiply?

Well, basically so far when I use a looper (i.e. DD20) it's for improvised more or less ambient pieces, noisy droney stuff with some little bit of melodies on top. This works quite well, but I'd like to be able to add some complexity to all that. Right now I can only do some very linear progressions, and I'd perhaps like to move from improvised noisemaking to improvised composition ? And even going into not-completely-improvised stuff too :).

So, midi sync would be useful to have the looper running in parallel with a drum machine / a micro modular / a gameboy (if I find the time to build a midi interface for it).
Having several tracks (of different length but still synced) would allow me to have other progression options than "delete the previous loop to make a new one".
Multiply would basically be there to make sure that things stay more or less coherent...

Your list of options and you're assessment seems very thorough,
so it's unlikely that anyone's going to pull a magic answer out the hat for you.
(ok, the "I have a Repeater for you to buy" may have nailed it for you :-)

The repeater is very nice indeed (I borrowed one from Mr Everyday Looper some time ago and really liked it), but I think I'd rather buy something new... Well, I'm not 100% sure of that to be honest :).

I've also been doing some research over the week-end, checking if getting an Eee PC or another similar netbook, installing OSX on it and running SooperLooper/Mobius would do the trick.

I'd still need a small midi controller (Korg NanoKontrol being the obvious choice) and a small audio/midi interface.
I think the total cost would be about 50 000 yens, more or less the same as the price of an RC50/Boomerang/EHX2880...
I'm not sure of how practical it would be, but it looks more and more like an option...

I've found a couple of discussions on this subject (looper on netbook) in the archives, how do people deal with controllers/audio interfaces to keep things small and easily manageable ?
And for people using a (more or less) dedicated OSX setup : how long does it take you to go from "I'm in front of my instruments, nothing is plugged in and I want to play" to "Ok, I'm happily making noisy noises now" ? I remember spending far too much time trying to hook up my macbook, sooperlooper and an Alesis firewire mixer some time ago... :)

And last but not least - Mathias : what is this Echoplex follow-up ?
I'm very intrigued now :).

Thanks again,
</daviD>

"Simulating the true styles and making carefully.
 Many colours a lot, selected freely by you !"