RE: recording methods - what's your approach?

It's been enlightening, reading about the various approaches employed here. Thank you all for that. One of the reasons I'm interested in this method is that Tangerine Dream used to jam for hours in the studio and then cut it up, stick it together and voila - An album! Phaedra and Rubicon are 2 of my favourite albums to date. Similarly, Jimi Page has been quoted as saying he'd have up to 3 goes at a guitar solo and if he didn't get it right, he'd leave it for another time because the freshness would have evaporated.
 I was jamming along in my shed the other day and came upon something that made me sit up. I recorded it immediately but then decided to re-create that atmosphere from scratch in order to get the build-up recorded - no way did it sound the same. Same, setup, (memorised by the computer), same room, same me, same key and similar notes and I couldn't get near it. It put me in mind of chaos theory where a small change in one aspect of the musc has a much larger effect on the feel of the whole piece.

I've ordered a copy of "Zen Guitar" from Amazon btw. I think it was mentioned on this list some years ago but looking forward to experimenting not only with my music but with my whole approach to that music.

Peace