Re: How do you?

I tend to call the greater genre of experimental music "weird music".
If pressed for details, I try to mention that people like unusual
sounds in the music of Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Primus, etc, and that
it's fun and interesting, rather than self-exclusive or academic.

When asked what I do, I say, "I make weird gloopy sounds with a drum
machine and I make it up as I go along. The closest thing it sounds
like is probably 70's space music or trippy ambient music." By then,
they've usually stopped paying attention and are talking to someone
else.

Calling musicians "loopers": I've come to accept that it is an
informative term. For me it means "uses devices to add repetitive
layers". I'd use it in the same sort of way as "multiphonics" or
"prepared". As in "I'm doing a show with a looping prepared lap steel
guitarist" or "She's a sax player who's big on multiphonics."

(Tangent: This is reminding me of my joke about the "4 schools of
avant garde vocal technique", which are: 1/ operatic 2/ I'm a baby. 3/
Every extended technique I know presented in sequential order. 4/ I'm
having an orgasm right now.)

Does the technology define the musician? It's something I try to avoid
- I hope that someone who uses the exact same gear as me would sound
nothing like me. Also, I try not to sound like my gear *too* much. For
example, when looping I often try to make it so the start/end points
of the loop are not obvious, or to let the loop feel too repetitive.

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com