Re: Rafa's One Man Band - Impact of looping -

>From my own part and from my minimal experience on looping I would say, that you have to VERY good instrumentalist, like Per Boysen, to make your show interesting. From the forementioned categories 1)bandlike 2)ambient, I would propose two new categories 1)acrobats/jaw-droppers 2)people who believe in power of music. Robert Fripp's work on "Let the power fall" is in my opinion, a good example of the latter.

The mimicking of a "real band" was my first goal in my experiments in looping, nowadays I find people like Dub FX, Kid Beyond good examples of the category 3, not ambient or band-like.

2010/5/12 Reyn Ouwehand <loopers-delight@reyn.net>
On 11 05 2010, at 8:09 PM, andy butler wrote:

> Per Boysen wrote:
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Rafael Nunes <supersimples@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think we are finally getting to a stage where one guy, with many loops can
>>> really be as enthralling as a full band.
>> I think we will never reach that stage
> I dunnow tho',
> bands get duller every year.

I often do a 10 minute hit and run show but I also did a few 1 hour shows and even once a 2 hour show and people never got bored. I must admit I also did make the audience participate where they could shout what song and what style I should play. That interaction makes the audience even more involved then a 'regular' show cause yeh, I agree, bands get duller every year.

Also, Jon Brion pulls it off in his Largo shows.

management: www.lalalamanagement.nl
twitter/facebook/youtube: ReynOuwehand

Petri Lahtinen
"Only become professional musician if there is no choice." -Robert Fripp-
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." -Charles Bukowski-