software color organ ?

Followup to my previous post re long delays...   this is getting a
little more OT, but I know some of you work the visual side of the
street too.

I'm also searching for 'color organ' stuff, aka multi-band sound
activated lighting controllers.

I have a few simple hardware devices in hand, and see the internet is
littered with kits and a few (pricey) custom devices.  All good, but
what I'm not seeing is software based stuff, at least not in any kind of
ready to use option.

Anybody know of a software based solution that would create some kind of
color organ effect?

Also glad to hear about dedicated hardware too, I have researched that
but keep finding more....

Bob