Re: laptop looping

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Dean, Hal <HDean@wcupa.edu> wrote:
> My Lenovo laptop with a 4-pin firewire connection is now several years
>old,
> so maybe the equation has changed. The OS is XP. I use it almost
>exclusively
> to run Mobius with a bunch of VSTs inside Bidule, and use a Focusrite
> firewire auidio interface. It is extremely stable, never had any
>problems at
> all. I wish the 4-pin connection wasn’t so flimsy, but it works just
>fine.
>
> Hal Dean

That's also my experience with XP. I've been running XP Service Pack 2
with no further Microsoft upgrades both on a 1 GHz Centrino and on an
old 2.2 GHz Macbook that boots XP by Bootcamp. Totally stable and ok
sounding with Mobius and VST plugins hosted by Bidule.

When running the same Bidule rig under OS X on the same Macbook the
CPU power (Intel Core 2 Duo)   seems less efficient and audio fidelity
not so good at a high CPU load.

The good point in running Windows on an Apple pc is that you get the
more sturdy Firewire jack/cable. I don't want to recommend powering up
gear through the Firewire cable though (as we sometimes see posts on
this list where people seem to think that's a "good thing").

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com