Re: which macbook?

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Simeon Harris
<simeonharris40@googlemail.com> wrote:
> the cheaper on form the apple store only has FW800 and the audio
>interface i
> plan on buying has FW400, but i think i can just use a special cable to
> connect, like this -
>
>http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase23.9&prodID=B164485
> - would that be less optimal than using a FW400 on the express?

I would hardly think so. I have plenty of those cables and mix FW400
and FW800 in many configurations. So do many producers and studio
engineers I've been talking to. The performance is set by the slowest
component and no matter what cable you are using it will be a 400
connection if one of the parts is a 400 device. But the difference
between FW400 and FW800 is not affecting the speed that audio is
streaming with as much as it affects the option to stream more data
simultaneously - i.e. if recording live with a lot of mic inputs.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com