Re: which macbook?

Generally, live recording is very gentle in demands on computer
performance by today's standards. Even standard consumer 5400rpm
harddiscs and mediocre architectures won't keep you from recording a lot
of tracks at high bit depth/sample rate.
Generally, you can set your interface latency as high as you want, as
audio apps will compensate for that (meaning: if you're recording a new
track as overdubs to existing ones, and have a latency of, say, 30ms
(one way), then after logic plays back the audio until it leaves the
interface is 30ms (and that is the timing reference to which you're
gonna play), and your played audio arrives another 30ms later through
the interface, then the app will move the newly recorded audio 60ms
forward in the track).

Also, Mobius (note: don't know about the Mac version, it's Windows I'm
talking 'bout) is not that hard on CPU/system load, either (although it
seems to me that that has increased somewhat in some of the version
changes in the last four years). So basically, you should go with the
cheaper one from both those points of view.

Now, the smaller has IEEE1394, the bigger one doesn't, but does have
ExpressCard - that may also be a decision aid, based on the audio
interface you're using.

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs