Max for Live: Potential for looping tweaks?

Hi folks

I have a love/hate opinion about Ableton. I love the way it triggers
clips, keeps the music flow running. I hate that I can't use it like a
decent looper, shifting clips around, triggering them the way I like with
midi controllers.
Controllers like Novation Launchpad are still limited imo. I was able to
do some nice things with AutoIt scripting
(http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) but complicated and only on Win.

The question is: Will Max for Live allow me to control Ableton for looping
purposes, giving me "full control" and access to the loops/clips?
I was hoping but then read this:
"You can’t access absolute Clip position, or directly update clips. ..
The Live API is also not yet as complete in its capabilities as the mouse.
As noted in comments, you can’t directly add audio and MIDI clips,
either." (createdigitalmusic.com)

So, I'm wondering: what's the potential for freely arrangig clips via
simple midi controls?

best regards
Buzap