OT: Recording Drums - gear selection

I've always like the 112 myself, you def want something
with a big diaphragm. Depending on the drum set, I've
wasted lots of time getting a kick drum to stop making
noise or squeeks, when miking on the beater side.
If the drummer plays open back or has a hole in the front
bass head, I like to put something smaller and dynamic
(w/ a high SPL) inside near the front head aimed at the
beater, then something just inside or just outside the
front head hole (depending on the drummer).
Here's my wild card: if you have an extra track, add an ambient room
mic, that is of course if you like the room and
think the sound of it will might go well w/the mix.  Sometimes it can
add a nice full sound when slightly
blended into the mix.
Read something about Jimi Page doing this once to one song at the
bottom of a stair well, I think
it was the only mic he used.  Just goes to show you it's
an art and not necessarily a science!

Andy G