Re: OT: Recording Drums - gear selection

Andy,
>> Note also that of the 9 channels, 2 are better quality
> use those for the overheads,
What I was thinking ;)
> if you want that 80's click, use the 112,
> otherwise avoid.
> (peak at 4kHz for the click)

I did rather think about using the
>> E/V N/D 868
Reason: while it also has some click (might need to cure that w/ EQ a
little), it has a much lower LF peak than the D112, so click, yes, but
with a deep vs. a higher punch.
>> Shure SM57 (3)
> that's v.popular for snare,
> ( but I don't have experience of that)
The M201 also does well on that, imo
> I don't know the mics, but as they're a stereo pair and you like them.
> I'd go for cardioid to get a full stereo.
I have some liking for a really artificially wide A/B, and was actually
planning to do stereo panning w/ delays vs levels for the individual
mics (sd, toms if needed), too.
> Might be worth trying the Rodes.
That's what I was thinking...;)
> it's very unlikely you'll need a mic on the ride, actually the trick
> is not to get too much cymbal in the OH.
Which I could, as I understand, avoid by a) moving the mics farther away
from the cymbals (thus making the toms relatively louder) or b)
closemiking the toms...
> my wildcard suggestion would be kick drum mic from the pedal side.
Never thought about that...what is the kind of sound you'd expect to get
from that? And what would you then use for both sides of the BD? E/V N/D
on the pedal side, e901 in the BD (or PZM-20D in front of the BD)?

Thanks,

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de