Re: Question about multiple looping setup

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Keith Smith <kahsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Having 4 guys with record buttons into 1 instance of Mobius is going to
> cause havoc (focus and record control issues), isn't it?

No. On the contrary the fact that it is one instance makes the sync
rock solid. That is because there is no external sync with a master or
slave sync relation, only track sync within Mobius. If comparing to
old hardware boxes the Electrixpro Repeater would be a good example,
IF it should allow its four tracks for direct control that is.

> While Per's first suggestion of LP2's seemed a bit simplistic, I think
>it's
> looking better all the time.

There is still no official specification published for the LP2, so it
is hard to say how the boxes behave as sync slaves.

> How about giving the percussion guy Mobius and sending sync from there
>to 3
> LP2's. Then practice practice practice.
> As everybody gets addicted (and more greedy), they might all move to
> separate synced Mobius setups.

Technically that is a bad solutions, because it includes external sync
and that is always problematic since it forces units have to play
"ooops got to catch up - oops got to slow down" all the time. But it
could work, we will have to wait and see. I have been trio looping
with EDPs that were synced with the Brother Sync system and that
worked very well for three musicians. However that EDP Brother Sync is
closer to the One Mobius Instance solution.

I'm also eagerly waiting for word on the LP2 spec's since I'm thinking
about using two synced LP2's for the Stick that has two outputs. But
that would only work if they can hook up well in sync and best if they
do it the Brother Sync way where you don't have to define a master or
a slave in advance. Like if any of the LP2's that is being recorded
into starts sending out a sync signal that causes the other LP2's to
automatically take on the sync role and wait for a beat before
implementing a given record command. I think I read the LP2 is
scheduled for june?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se