[Fwd: Re: OT: Recommendations for Microphone and Archtop or Acoustic Guitar]

Kris Hartung schrieb:

> Document below updated with frequence response charts for each model.
Just mentioning that for completeness, but the frequency response chart
alone is not a good measurement of how a microphone sounds. A lot of the
characteristics of several great mics cannot even be guessed by looking
at the frequency response. And with that comes the fact that only a few
of the (expensive) manufacturers actually name the test conditions used
for plotting those charts...

To add some of my .02 to this discussion:

1. +1 for the AT4050 as a great all-around microphone.
2. Typically, a multi-pattern microphone is a little bit of a cheat: the
"omni" is not a true omni but rather a combination of two cardioids. So
you still have proximity effect. Buggers. (I like omni recordings very
much).
3. I both have Rode NT-1A (a pair) and the older NT-1, the latter one is
what I use a lot for hihat and similar "noise sources", because to me it
feels warmer.
4. Why not consider something which is not a condenser microphone,
perhaps in addition to a (small diaphragm) condenser? Like a Coles
ribbon, or a Beyer M201 moving coil?

         Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de