Re: anyone running @ 64 buffer size?

FRO DIDDLY schrieb:
> if i can run @ 128 with a dual core, should i be able to run 64 with a
> quad core? ;oD im sure that logic does not hold its weight, but where
> does the bottleneck occur for digital audio processing?
>
> i know to use a firewire card with the texas instrument chip set-
> i know to avoid the motherboard display output and use a separate
> video card-
Basically (and others did in part already tell you so - would expect
Andy Butler to chime in here soon ;), every component in the chain from
audio interface to your application (and back) plays its role here. This
is (without any claim of completeness):
    * communication chipset of the interface ("your audio card")
    * communication protocol from interface to computer (e.g. firewire)
    * computer-sided communication adapter (e.g. firewire card/adapter
in the computer)
    * system architecture of the computer (i.e. how the data gets from
the adapter to the cpu)
    * computer BIOS
    * computer OS
    * computer's adapter driver
    * any layers in between driver and application (e.g. ASIO)
    * application

And then there's of course the CPU speed...

Now theory would say that using some dedicated interface structure will
bring down your required buffer size. I had the best experiences with
RME HDSP technology (which is a proprietary interface for some of their
older interfaces, e.g. multiface (II)/digiface) and can easily reach a
buffer size of 64 on my Kentsfield-equipped computer.
The reason is that a lot of the components in this chain are done by RME
(who take great pride in their designs, and rightly so), in that case
everything from the (ASIC) communication chipset, the communication
protocol (RME's own design and optimized for that application), the
computer-side adapter and the drivers, and the adapter interfaces
directly to the PCI(e) bridge, and that is usually designed well on most
computers.

There's also manufacturers who build audio-optimized computers -
basically something you can do yourself if you spend days on end
researching the necessary info. The best idea may be to define the
unmodifiable starting points for your system (e.g. if you definitely
need/want to use your specific audio interface) and then build around
those conditions, considering some of the ideas you mentioned. You can
in some cases also be lucky with some non-TI firewire chipsets, and also
with an onboard graphics adapter...so make sure to try before you buy
(and in the best case using the exact hardware/software setup you intend
to use).

Some other tricks:
    * DPC latency is an important parameter. Setup your computer
including audio interface and use this tool:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
    * there are interfaces that work well with USB2. RME's earned good
reports, but I also had success with the (discontinued) Marian UCON.
Most of the time, USB is a problem on Macs.
    * Depending on your OS, use the means at your disposal to optimize
it for audio. Caveat: there's a lot of sites out there which give you XP
(or earlier)-optimized suggestions under the "Vista" or "Windows 7"
header. But generally, turning off everything you do not need (NICs, all
of those odd services, Aero etc.) is a good idea.

          Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs