From: Mech [mailto:mech@m3ch.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:25 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Anyone messed around with the Boss SL-20?

At 12:39 PM -0500 3/6/10, Ace Ovil wrote:
>On Mar 6, 2010, at 7:56 AM, "Mech" <mech@m3ch.net> wrote:
>>
>>Anything in particular you want to know, though?
>
>Well. One of the things I'm curious about is whether this is
>something I would want before or after my stereo edp setup in the
>mixer.

Depends on what kind of effect you're looking to achieve.  Don't
forget -- as effect chains go -- the last effect in the chain always
leaves the greatest imprint on the signal.  If you put the slicer
last, then your whole mix will become a rhythmic pulse reflecting the
current SL-20 settings.  Also, you'll be limited to a single rhythm,
since that's all the Slicer can control at one time.

Conversely, if you put it before the EDP, you'll probably have finer
control on the amount of the effect on each layer of overdubs.  As an
additional side-effect, you can build up polyrhythms inside the EDP.
Just record a track using one setting on the SL-20, then reach down
and change the setting on the Slicer before recording an overdub.
Experiment with different rhythmic patterns and how they interplay
with each other on successive overdubs.

>How long is the loop? Is the inboard looper infinite overdub like an
rc-20?

The Looper is okay as an extra, but DO NOT buy the SL-20 on this
feature alone.  I would not compare it to the RC-20, or even the
RC-2.  In fact, it's really just the "Loop" preset from the Boss
DD-20 (which is a setting that many of us see as barely useful).

That said, the Looper is really just an add-on function so that a
guitarist could lay down a sliced rhythmic backing, then solo over
the top of it.  There is *NO* overdub whatsoever, and in fact, once
you kick in the Loop Playback most of the other functions become
inactive so the whole thing reverts to being just a one-shot
recorder.  Just to be mind-numbingly clear here: you can not loop a
"sliced" line then record or play any other effected/sliced part over
the top of it, since all the Slicer functionality becomes completely
inert once you start the Loop playing back.  The box will be
effectively frozen and will only pass the direct signal until the
Loop stops.

Also, the Loop function doesn't work at all if you've got the
Start/Stop pedal set to "Momentary" mode (which can be kind of fun to
tap-&-hold sliced lines interactively).  So if you wanted to use
both, you'd have to stop in the middle of what you're doing and reset
the pedal using a series of button presses on reboot.

Sucks as a Looper, I know, but it can be useful sometimes for
recording a quick one-shot loop.  It'll also function while recording
only the direct signal, so that can be kind of handy in instances
where you'd like to record a single line and you're not using the
Slice function at all.  And I guess it's better to have it and not
need it, than need it and not have it.  I just wouldn't make a buying
decision based on that one function.  <*shrug*>

>Also , can you tell me a little about that stereo ping-pong thing?

Stereo Ping-Pong is one of the output modes.  It takes the output
signal and routes it either hard-left or hard-right on each
successive slice, so the pulsed signal "bounces" between each side of
the stereo image.  Nice for making your audience sea-sick at faster
tempos.  ;D

Auto mode does roughly the same thing, but rather fades the sliced
signal from left to right in time with the current tempo.

3D-Cross and 3D-Pan are the three-dimensional equivalents to the
aforementioned two modes.  the 3D modes add some EQ and
psycho-acoustic stuff, so that the stereo movement occurs not only
between the left and right, but also the front and back.  3D-Cross,
like Ping-Pong, cleanly bounces the signal between
left/right-front/back, while 3D-Pan does a smooth rotation through
all directions: right to front to left to back to right, etc., etc.

And, as Rick already mentioned, there is a Random mode, which bounces
the slices back and forth in a completely arbitrary manner.

Now as I've pointed out previously, any panning device can be turned
into a Tremolo/Slicer merely by tapping only a single one of the two
L/R outputs and running it in Mono.  This is no different, and what I
was talking about in my previous "Dummy Plug Trick" post.

If you insert a null plug into one of the outputs (required in order
to make the unit behave in Stereo mode; otherwise everything just
sums to Mono internally), then you have what amounts to one Slicer
running into a second Slicer.  Sweet!

Use this setup in Ping-Pong mode, and you'll get another(!) two
variations on each of the 50 internal Patterns.  This first variation
only plays the odd-numbered (1st, 3rd, 5th...) rhythmic slices in a
pattern, while the second only repeats the even (2nd, 4th, 6th...)
slices.

In Auto mode, this results in a sliced Pattern fading in and back out
again.  The 3D modes, of course, attempt to add front-to-back motion
to each of these previous modes (sometimes it works; sometimes not so
well).

And of course, as Rick also pointed out, you can use the Random mode
to add a tempo-locked pulse to your music.  Since it's still
outputting the chosen Pattern, it's not completely random, but
instead a shifting variation on that Pattern.  Find a Pattern that
fits your music, then use this output trick to add "humanizing"
variations to that Pattern.

I'm not surprised that Rick hasn't had a chance to go through all the
Patterns on the box, either.  If you count that these output modes
can each add a variation to the original Pattern, that's something
like 19 variations each (Normal Mono, Normal Stereo, Single-Left and
Single-Right Channel versions for every one of the 5 Output Modes).
Multiply that times 5 Banks of 10 Patterns -- 50 Patterns in all --
and you're getting close to almost a thousand different variations.
And that's not even counting that you can make each variation
smoother or choppier by playing with the Attack and Duty (a.k.a.
Slice Length) controls.

Yeah, I think of the SL-20 -- like the DD-20 before it -- as another
one of those Boss "sleeper" boxes.  It sounds really dull on the
surface.  But once you start to dig a bit, its quirks start to come
out.  And many of those quirks are actually really interesting, and
can be twisted for some amazing results.  Try using it before your
EDP and I think you've got hours of fun in store for you.

Hope that helps....  :)

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of