Re: the death of the loop

I think one of the biggest challenges is how to gracefully exit a
loop.  Here are a couple of techniques that I use:

1) A lap-dissolve

While Loop A plays, I build up new loop (Loop B) -- then I reduce the
feedback on Loop A such that it fades out while I continue to build
Loop B.

2) Feedback -- an easy way to kill a loop is to decrease the feedback
while adding new material on top of it.  Actually, one can produce an
ever-changing improvisation just by looping into a loop that slowly
fades with each iteration.

3) Stop the loop and keep playing live.  That's right... just stop it
cold but keep playing your instrument -- you can simply improvise a
coda to end your song -- or of course, start to build another loop.

4) "Manual Looping" -- while your loop plays, play another loop
yourself -- fade out the loop but keep your Manual Loop going.  Once
the mechanical loop is out of the mix, all that is left is your
real-time loop that you can work with.

5) Mangling -- take the loop and "mangle" it -- slow it down, speed it
up, break it up, process and distort it -- there are many ways to
"mangle" and, ultimately, kill a loop.

I have used all these methods at one time or another.  Hope this gives
you a few ideas.

-- Kevin