Re: Chapman Stick looping

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Jim Goodin <jimgoodinmusic@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Per is your Stick new to you or have you had a while?

Think I've hade two or three weeks. But not much practice time since
I've had an important gig with a new band that swallowed most time
recently.

> If I hadn't taken on
> the violin and oud in muli-instrumentalist world the Stick would have
>been
> on the list.  They are pretty neat and just a great texture.  Maybe
>I'll put
> one on the list for someday.

Coolest point in my opinion is that you can improvise two lines
simultaneously. The Stick is very easy to play, technically, bit the
challenge is to rewire your brain. Most other instruments require both
hands to be trimmed together ("dependent" two hand technique) while
the stick lets you make each hand its own musician and have them jam
together ("independent" two hand technique). That's all new for me as
I have never really played the piano much (or the harp).

> Good piece Per.

Thanks. Just a one-shot improvisation. I'll film some video later on
when I've learned to play it properly.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se